UH Dance Program Policy for Participation in Performances 2020
Policy for Participation in University of Houston Dance Program Performances:
1. All student performers must be members of University Dance Theater, with membership filed and fees paid by either FAD 1 or FAD 2. Dues must be paid by FAD 1 (or student will not be allowed to perform in ECS)
2. Students must be enrolled in or “PC-ing” a technique class. If you are a current UH student that is “PC-ing” a class, you must adhere to the attendance policy or you will be removed from the event.
4. Any student that does not meet the absence policy will not be allowed to perform in the UH Dance Program performances, including student choreographed works. Student choreographers/dancers should be aware that students who have not followed the absence policy will be pulled from concerts and performance opportunities for the semester.
5. For the “Emerging Choreography Showcase,” all choreography must be shown at 2 of the 3 “Friday Afternoon Dance” (FAD) showings, with the last FAD being required. Students can show at all three FADS. All choreographers and performers must stay for the entire FAD in which they are showing a work. All choreographers and performers must participate in the ECS audition at the beginning of the semester.
6. At the first FAD that a new work is shown, all cast members will sign a letter of commitment regarding rehearsals, attendance, and performance obligations.
7. All performers must honor the rehearsal schedule as set by the choreographer.
8. Student performers cannot be perform in more than four works of choreography without faculty approval.
9. Every member of the cast must attend the spacing rehearsals and the technical/dress rehearsals, as well as participate in the strike and the clean-up of dressing rooms.
10. All performers must arrive on time and participate in the event warm-up.
11. All cast members must stay at the technical/dress rehearsals and closing performance until dismissed by the Production Director (Toni Valle), or the work will be pulled from the show. Any legitimate scheduling conflicts must be submitted in writing to the Production Director by the second FAD for consideration.
12. During technical rehearsals and performances, emergencies that results in tardies (or absences) should be submitted via text or email to the Stage Manager as soon as possible.
Costume, Props, Set, and Music Policy:
1. All technical and production elements for student productions must be communicated by the final showing (prior to spacing and technical rehearsals) in writing to the Production Director (Toni Valle). This includes special costuming elements, sets or props of any kind, special make-up and/or masks.
2. Props/sets are the responsibility of the choreographer. The choreographer is responsible for transporting props/sets into the theater first day of technical rehearsal and out of the theater immediately after the closing performance.
3. Student choreographers are responsible for costuming their own works. All costume pieces need to be given to the Costume Mistress at the beginning of tech rehearsals, along with a costume list of each item for each dancer.
4. All costumes borrowed from the MEL 230 closet must be checked out and returned through the Dance Production class within 1 week after the event. Items must be cleaned before being returned.
5. Student choreographers must give a final copy of their music to Production Director (Toni Valle) by final showing.
Box Office Policy:
1. Each student performer and choreographer is responsible for advocating the event through ticket sales. There is an expectation that each performer will sell a minimum of 6 tickets per event. For UH Goes to the MATCH, it is 2 tickets per event.
UH Goes to MATCH Policy for Participation in Performances 2020
1. Completed works must be submitted for the MATCH showing in order to be considered for the concert. Everyone MUST ATTEND AND VIEW the showing unless you have made previous arrangements with Toni Valle (The Production Director.) Roll will be taken at the end of the showing.
2. The 4-dance rule per concert applies to this concert: Students are only allowed to perform in 4 pieces.
3. To insure covering the cost of the theatre rental, choreographers are required to make a $25 deposit or sell 4 tickets to the concert by February 21st. (To insure you get credit, have tickets bought under your name or a family members name. Toni Valle receives updates of ticket sales and can verify your family or you bought tickets.) If ticket sales cover the cost of the rental, all deposits will be refunded to the choreographers. If ticket sales do not cover the cost of the rental, the deposit money of choreographers who did not sell tickets will be used to cover the remaining costs.
4. The Tech and Show is Sunday, February 23, 2020 all in one day. Students must keep their schedule open the entire day until Show Order and Lighting Assignments are scheduled. Students must be present for the lighting tech, but can leave when they are not lighting with advance permission from Toni. All students need to be back for the warm up and dress rehearsal. Any conflicts need to be discussed with Toni in advance: 713/409-2838 or email@example.com.
Tentative Tech Schedule:
February 23, 2020 10am-4pm Spacing and Lighting
4pm Cast Warm Up
5pm Dress Rehearsal
5. We have a videographer and photographer coming to document the performance. All performers and choreographers must sign a media release form that allows works to be filmed and distributed to the company. If a choreographer does not want his/her work filmed, it is the responsibility of the choreographer to let Toni know in advance of the performance that the videographer should NOT video that piece. UH is paying for the photographer and will own the photos for marketing. After Toni pulls photos for marketing, the remaining photos will be given to the choreographers. The videographer fee of $100 is split among the choreographers and distributed to choreographers after the concert. The videographer fee is due to Kat Jimenez by Feb. 21st.
6. The audition for UH Goes to MATCH is February 12* (Wednesday) at 4pm in MEL 230.
7. ECS works - If a choreographer chooses to submit a work for MATCH that was in ECS with the original cast, they are not required to show the work for consideration. However, the choreographer MUST ATTEND AND VIEW the showing to submit their ECS dance for consideration. ECS works that have undergone casting changes must show at the MATCH showing to be considered, unless cleared by faculty.
8. All new works & works that were not in ECS must show at the MATCH showing to be considered.
MATCH Pre-Event Checklist 3400 Main Street.
Vehicles may not stay in loading dock.
Parking - Performers and Staff can park at the South Main Baptist Church lot at Main st. and Truxillo st. You will need to display a MATCH staff parking permit The parking garage across Holman St. is now open on nights and weekends; rates are available on our website.
Access • The Stage Door is located in the loading dock area on Francis St. Performers and staff should enter through this door only. Do not use theater lobby doors, or the double doors in the Matchbox 1 backstage area as entrances or exits to the building. For security purposes, the stage door is locked at all times. Please be sure to organize someone from your team to assist allowing people into the building. On evenings, or weekends when there aren’t public performances, there won’t be someone to answer the callbox, so having a system in place will be important for your staff and performers to be able to access the building.
Backstage • The backstage areas are shared spaces with the adjacent theaters. Please be considerate when walking thru areas directly outside the theaters and do not congregate in hallways outside theaters. Noise backstage should be kept in check at all times. Theaters may be in performance at any time during the day, and noise in one backstage area may transfer to another theater and potentially disrupt another performance.
Dressing Rooms • Each theater has two assigned dressing rooms adjacent to the theater. Make up mirror lights are controlled by a switch on the outside of the room. This switch also controls the outlets. Please be sure to turn off make up mirror lights at the end of the night. • Please do not remove seats from dressing rooms. Please dispose of trash in the proper receptacle. Dressing rooms should be left clean and orderly upon load out. • Please do not tape signs to the mirrors in the dressing rooms. The restroom facilities backstage are shared spaces. Restrooms are not to be used as dressing rooms.
"OnStage Blog" selected the UH Dance Program as one of the top 30 schools nationally for dance in 2019, based on its unique networking with professionals and in-the-field training for a professional career in dance: “The Top 30 College Dance Programs for 2019-2020”